- 8 cups (1 kg) fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 4 cups (840 g) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- In a blender, purée 2 cups of the strawberries until smooth. Set aside the coulis.
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining strawberries, the sugar and lemon juice. With a potato masher, roughly crush the strawberries.
- Add the strawberry coulis and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently while scraping the sides and bottom of the saucepan. Let simmer over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, or until a candy thermometer reads 224°F (106°C) or the jam passes the Plate Test (see below). Skim carefully while cooking.
- Pour into airtight containers. Let cool, then refrigerate. The jam will keep for several weeks in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer. You can also pour the jam into hot sterilized jars, then submerge the jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. This added step will ensure a long shelf life